Thursday, March 20, 2008

Results: Infant Car Seats

Based on the research that I have done most people who have purchased car seats are happiest with the following car seats. I am dividing them into two groups and I am listing average prices for each. The first group of car seats have weight limits that go up to about 22 pounds. The second group have weight limits that go up to about 30 pounds.

Group 1:
1) Graco Snugride $99.99
2) Britax Companion $199.99
3) Inglesina Zippy (but it is annoying since it cannot work without the base) $169.99

Group 2:
1) Graco SafeSeat $129.99
2) Peg Perego Primo Viaggio (good side impact) $249.99
3) Chicco Keyfit $169.99

The first thing that I would take into account would be my children's' birth weights. If me older children had been large babies or if I know that large infants run in my family then I would probably go for a car seat from group 2 since they allow for a baby up to 30 pounds as opposed to 22 pounds. You must realize though that each baby is different and yours might not fit well into a certain car seat even while still within the weight and height limits (just like with diapers). Also if you do choose a car seat from group 2 they will be heavier than the car seats from group 1 - they are larger and therefore weight more since they accommodate larger babies. This might not seem like a big deal but trust me, once you put your baby into the car seat it just gets heavier and heavier. I can barely carry my son in his car seat down the block. My husband always has to do it, otherwise I use the stroller that you can attach a car seat into. As the baby gets heavier you are able to carry more - I think because your muscles are getting stronger as they are being used more.

Otherwise I would stick to a car seat from group 1 and for me it would be between either the Britax Companion or the Graco Snugride. They are both very popular and safe.

Below are some links to purchase the above mentioned car seats. I find that I can get good deals on Amazon often. I will check periodically to see if there are deals going on at different times.

Graco SnugRide Infant Car Seat - Little Lamb

Britax Companion Infant Car Seat Black/Tan

Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat in Portica

Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Infant Car Seat in Ice

No comments: